Thursday, August 26, 2010

Which Online Dating Site to Choose?

If you're thinking about trying online dating, you're probably confused about which dating site to choose.  There are many.  I've tried several and I have definite opinions about them.

I'll start with the sites I didn't like.  First of all, they cost money.  Second, when you sign up there is a very long survey about yourself that is required.  I'm talking about Chemistry.com and eHarmony.com.  Both claim to match you with the people you're compatible with at the deepest level.

I don't mind a little matching help, but I like to be able to search a site and check out the guys I find interesting.  These two sites don't allow you to search but give you a group of matches based on your preferences.  If you like someone, you have to send him questions to answer and then if he's interested, he'll send you questions.  Then you have to send your likes and dislikes.  Then more questions back and forth.  By the time you get to the point you can email, the guy has died of boredom and can't respond.

A couple of sites have worked well for me in that I've been asked on a quite a few dates.  The first one I tried was Match.com.  This site allows you to set up your profile quickly and add pictures easily.  However, everything you write about yourself and your pictures have to be reviewed and approved.  That takes less than 24 hours usually.  You can answer personality questions and Match.com will provide a list of matches for you.  Otherwise, you can search by your own parameters to your heart's content.  Because it also cost money to join, the men MAY be a little more serious about dating, but just a little.

I found out about this site from a man I met on Match.com.  This site is free and is called Plentyoffish. Unlike Match.com, on plentyoffish or "pof" as members call it, you can write anything and post pictures and it shows up immediately without any approval.  Inappropriate pictures may be removed by the site, however.  Most of the men I met were fishing for sex, but there are some keepers on there who truly want relationships. 
No matter what online dating site you decide on, remember what Steve Santagoti says in his book, "The Manual":
  • Some men think of you as easy targets because you're desperate enough to look for love on the Internet
  • 'Net cruisers are looking for east targets and will put in very little effort-unless they find you extremely hot
Be careful, trust your intuition, listen to your gut feelings and you'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment